The very important subject for most brides to be – Wedding Hair and Makeup.
Girls, ladies, brides to be – this is probably the most important of all blog topics yet as it probably falls a close second to the dress.
I have spent countless hours thinking about it and have shared a few of my own tips that I hope will help you out. I also asked my two favourite hair and makeup professional in Rome, Louise Faulkner for their tips, hope you find it all useful and enjoy the photos at the end.
The most important day of your life where you will look your most beautiful. You will be the centre of attention all day long. People will be looking at you all day and the best makeup should last distance. You want that wow factor but you also want to look like yourself.
Your wedding make-up is going to be different from everyday makeup. It doesn’t need to be over the top but polished and pretty. I love defined eyes and softly groomed brows. Nothing too dark in my opinion, you want to enhance your eye colour and let them twinkle. For me, personally eyes are the most important feature and there is nothing more stunning than gorgeous eye make-up that draws you to the face.
The single most important thing to remember about your makeup is that it does not need to be plastered on, and some people believe this to be true in order to get a pretty photo, absolutely not. Keep bases natural and more suited to your skin tone and always try and have your makeup applied in Natural light.
I like to use as much natural light as much as possible throughout the day for the photos. If you are doing your own makeup please remember don’t stop foundation on the face, blend it in over your neck and shoulders, there is nothing worse than a perfectly made up face and a white neck!
I am not a fan of fake tan and try to discourage it. I think it is impossible to avoid streaks, especially on hands and between the fingers. I understand for a lot of brides they will be showing some flesh, however, it’s much nicer to look natural than slightly orange. A bit of a sparkle is nice and a slight dusting of bronzing powder can look very pretty over the neck and shoulders; remember, you will be showing off that ring and you do not want tangerine knuckles!
I have a love-hate relationship with false eyelashes, I know I might sound old-fashioned and that everyone is using them when applied correctly then they are great, nothing sexier than extra fluffy long lashes. I can’t stress the importance of having them applied correctly. I have seen them curl up and detach from the eyes and it looks a bit weird! I understand they come all in one strip or can be applied in little bits, The later is better in my opinion and looks much more natural, I believe they are called individual lashes. At the end of the day you don’t want to be worrying about your falsies falling off!
I like hair that is soft and feminine. It is a good idea to know what you want and take lots of pictures for your hairdresser. Many brides have the option for a hair trial a day or two before which is a good idea so you can both get a feel for what will work best. It can be stressful for both of you if you leave it all until the day of the wedding and expect your hairdresser to make the decision for you. And please, do not have bits hanging over your eyes, keep it off the face, we want to see you and show off those twinkling eyes.
During the summer months the biggest obstacle you will have in Italy is coping in the heat, so it is a very good idea to bring some blotting facial tissues to use throughout the day. I know Shiseido have these. Nothing too glossy or too matte for the lips something in between as you don’t want them too dry and crackly. And nothing too dark, I am a great believer in Vaseline! It works wonders for lips, (not the lens!) You now get one with a tint of pink. And Louise will not approve!
My Definite No Nos
- Don’t wear coloured contacts, please no
- Don’t get sunburnt the day before and watch for strap marks especially if wearing a strapless dress
- Don’t go over the top, you want to look like you
- Don’t be hungover!
And finally I will pass you over to the pros, after all they know best, I am just the photographer that will be looking at you all day! Remember you will glow from inside out and that alone will make you look beautiful. So relax and enjoy your pampering, you will be fabulous to me and everyone else no matter what.
Hints & Tips from Louise Faulkner
All Brides want to look amazing on their wedding day. Here are a few tips to great looking skin. If you don’t already, start a cleansing ritual with your skin and not just your face.
- Cleanse-Tone-Moisturise daily, its prep for great skin and your makeup will be flawless, your pictures are forever.
- Exfoliate regularly, gets rid of dead skin and your skin will appear smoother and brighter
- If you have problem skin, Clinique / dermalogica can cater for your skin, I highly recommend at least 2 cups of hot water a day, you will see it clear!
- Body, Not just your face will be photographed that day. Regular exfoliation of the body and moisturise will leave your skin smooth and soft. So if you opt for fake tan or skin glow product it will look better on smooth skin!
HAIR & MAKEUP
When choosing your Hair & Makeup looks here are a few tips to think about:
- What suits you?
- What will compliment your look?
- Decide on what look you want to achieve ie..Classic,vintage,rock etc.
- When choosing these factors take these into consideration … Face Shape, Age, Your Dress, what month you are getting married as it can reach highs of 40-45 degrees!!
- Also your bridesmaids are to compliment you, so please take into consideration what look you want for them and if getting tan get done together professionally this way they can guide how much each individual needs some may need more / less or none at all! You don’t want your bridesmaid looking tango’d against you!!
- Less is more! If you have an early wedding and don’t want to be too heavily made up, a few tips I have given my Brides. Have a style if its up that you can let it down in the evening or change your lipstick colour go for something more vibrant and a little more eyeliner to achieve a more evening look and lastly add some fabulous earrings that make a statement. All these little things can take you from day to night!
- Lastly Have Fun. Enjoy it you will have an amazing day, and you will look and feel amazing!